November 12, 2008

My Hidden Dramas, My Life

I believe everything happened for a reason.

And yes, when I know the reason, it came in too late sometimes. Or maybe late enough to make my body shiver.

The moment I stepped out of Berlin Hauptbahnhof, I have expected whatever I have chosen to do/stay/eat/etc etc, do came in with a reason.

And those interesting things that happened to me would be:

1) The building that I stayed for the first few nights in Berlin used to be the the site of the old Reich Chancellery. Yes, the place where Adolf Hitler and his partner, Eva Braun committed suicide. Yeap, from all the areas in Berlin, I chose to stay there. I know Berlin is BIG, but I didn't know the history behind the guesthouse and buildings around it. And sharing the room with random strangers everyday is also an extra point to laugh for.

2) The Doener Shop downstairs (where I stay for the first few nights) is very popular in Berlin as a lot of well-known political leaders ate there before. The owner of the shop is the one who helped us to ring the bell and the staff there has been really helpful to us. My first Doener in Berlin was bought there.

3) My german language lecturer who also happens to be a lecturer in Humboldt Uni is a book fanatic. And he just won a bid for an original book by Albert Einstein which costs him a BOMB. And he will show it to us probably by next week and yes, I get to touch the book and take some photos with the quantum physic bible. Nice.

4) Did I mentioned that I was stuck in a demonstration while visiting some place in Berlin? Yeah, a few times actually. Demonstrations are everywhere here in Berlin. Peaceful demonstration.

5) I got to meet up with a friend in Berlin who happens to works in the German Historical Museum. Wonderful. He showed us around Berlin. Although it was quite brief but it was good enough for my friend and I to know more of Berlin as the both of us are like headless ducks in Berlin. Since then, Alexanderplatz is like my second home. Thank you thank you thank you. I still owe u a Doener. I know. Please set a date and we shall enjoy our Doener with a bottle of coke.

6) I have a list of BEST BUYs that I bought since I arrived here. A few of them should be dictionaries. Oh gawdddd...I bought 2 dictionaries and it costs me 3.95 and 2.95 Euros each. I am talking about those HUGE dictionaries. Ah, I am so happy. And I bought a new pullover for 9 Euros. Happy. And the best part is..I bought a german novel for 1 Euro. Double the happiness.

7) The house I am living right now is filled with things and utensils from the DDR period. With these things here, I am appreciating each and everything around me. This shows me that life is indeed short and I shall live my life to the fullest everyday.

8) My love for history and philosophy and poetry and a few other things which I would never even look at back in Malaysia is growing at a very healthy speed. I didn't know that sometimes I can be THAT philosophical. Which I find it's good. It's like a hidden talent or something.

As you can see, the list will grow longer each day and yes, I shall say that I am already adapting to my new life here.

No comments: